You’ve probably heard the stories from both sides: the magic of seeing each other for the first time at your wedding ceremony when you walk down the aisle OR the perfect intimacy of getting to see one another in private before your ceremony – what we in the industry like to call the First Look.
First off, What is a first look? A First Look is a simple way of saying, “Will you be seeing each other before the ceremony?” You and your Fiancé have an intimate moment just with you two.
You’ll hear photographers talk about how it is best for photography purposes to do a first look (which of course helps) but I think the first look has a lot of emotional benefits as well and that is why 95% of my couples choose to do first looks. Here are some of my top reasons on why I think every couple should have have one.
1. A private, romantic moment between just the two of you is irreplaceable. This is a special time set up during your wedding day where you two can escape for a tiny moment together.
2. You get to interact! When you wait to see each other at the top of the aisle, you can’t kiss each other, hold each other and take a moment to breathe it in. But at a First Look, you can.
3. Now that you’ve seen each other, we are open to photographing all the other major pieces of the day prior to the ceremony (bridal party & family!)
4. You get to enjoy your cocktail hour with guests! No running away for 1-2 hours taking photos while your guests wait around for you, you get to join the party! (and when you’ve paid that much…you’ll want to be there for it..)
5. The photographs are the best. As a photographer, this is the time where I get to be the most creative and create those stunning portraits of the two of you without any distraction. It’s the part of the day that I most look forward to as an artist and fellow romantic.
Still have more timeline questions? How does this all fit together? Send me an inquiry and let’s get started on your timeline together.